Research RN - Medical Education
Company: Saint Joseph Mercy Health System
Posted on: June 25, 2022
Employment Type:Part timeShift:Description:I Accountability
Collaboratively shares responsibility for the research management
of patients with the physician investigator.
Manages duties necessary to begin, coordinate and monitor the
clinical research studies occurring at St. Joseph Mercy
Oakland Research Office. Responsibilities include physical
assessment utilizing nursing practice skills under the
supervision of physician investigators and in collaboration with
the patients and primary care physicians. Coordinates
adjustments to the patient's plan of care in the hospital and home
according to assessment findings, research protocols,
patient teaching, staff education, and consultations. Collaborates
with health care team members to facilitate the
delivery of seamless patient and family focused care maintaining
continuity throughout the full continuum.
II Position Qualifications:
Minimum Education, Licensure / Certification and Experience
- Graduation from an accredited school of nursing.
B. Licensure / Certification
- Current licensure to practice Nursing in the State of
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
- CCRC preferred.
C Special Skill / Aptitudes
- Excellent customer service orientation skills necessary in
order to deal effectively with various levels of hospital
personnel, outside customers and community groups.
- High level of physical assessment skills needed in order to
complete study protocols and manage patient care.
- Basic computer skills required in order to input patient data
into national web based Data Base.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to be flexible regarding scheduled work hours in order
to enroll participants when they become available for research
studies is desirable.
- Three years working experience as an RN with emphasis on
patient physical assessment in order to complete
- research study protocols and manage patient care.
- Knowledge of managing clinical research --- protocol and
research oriented data collection process.
- Knowledge of FDA Regulations and GCP guidelines.
III Duties / Responsibilities:
In collaboration with the investigator(s) and other team members,
manages a case load of research patients
- A. Determines a patient's study eligibility, recruits patients,
follows patients and monitors research study for
- protocol compliance.
- B. Completes a comprehensive history and physical at baseline
and throughout the study.
- C. Performs study visits to case load of patients (inpatient
- D. Assists other study personnel as needed with their
- E. Evaluates and documents patient response to interventions
and medications. Writes progress notes for
- data source documents.
- F. Assists the investigator(s) and performs the credentialing
procedures in accordance with research policies
- and protocol procedures.
- G. Receives, dispenses, administers, and has accountability for
research medications and other medications
- as needed, under the guidance of the investigator, according to
the research protocol.
- H. Obtains laboratory specimen collection including blood
drawing, processing, packaging and shipping
- according to IATA guidelines.
- I. Coordinates inpatient and outpatient research care
(provision of research medication and follow-up
- appointments, to maintain research protocol. May assist in
patient care areas to facilitate a research patient's
- flow of care. (Cath Lab, ER, CCU)
- J. Obtains verbal orders from investigator(s) for study related
and adverse event related procedures or
- Coordinates the regulatory documents necessary to be in
compliance with the FDA, SJMO IRB/RC, and sponsoring companies of
open protocols of the Research Office.
- Accurately, completes individual study case report forms and
cardiovascular data collections forms.
- Coordinates span of patient care, protocol questions,
patient/family questions, and patient retention 24hrs/day 7
days/week as necessary.
- Meets with Study Monitors who represent external related
companies as necessary.
- Manages and problem solves issues and conflicts that impact
patient care and research processes, influencing customer
satisfaction and customer relations.
- Develops and maintains resource binder for departments involved
in open protocols (including standard orders).
- Orients physicians and other hospital personnel to study
protocols and procedures.
- Assesses and analyzes the collection and tabulation of
- Prepares and presents complete and timely reports to standing
and ad hoc committees, departments and/or division.
- Complies with all nursing policies and procedures.
- Attends investigator meetings for research protocols.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrates and actively promotes an understanding and
commitment to the mission of St. Joseph Mercy Oakland through
performing behaviors consistent with the Trinity Health
- Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and
Local laws and regulations, the Trinity Health Organizational
Integrity Program, including the Standards of Conduct, Code of
Ethics, as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure
adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical and
- Supports and conducts one's self in a manner consistent with
customer service expectations.
- In accordance with unit or departmental practice, determines
that appropriate charges have been entered for the correct patient,
encounter, date/time of service, with any required modifiers. Make
corrections as needed per charge capture policy/practice.
- In accordance with unit or departmental practice, actively
participates in on-going education and communication regarding
- In accordance with unit or departmental practice, assists with
tracking and monitoring of equipment assigned to the unit. Requests
services for maintaining equipment as needed.
- In accordance with unit or departmental practice, proficient
with the electronic health records for documentation, assessment,
and care management, performing these activities concurrently with
provision of care throughout the shift.Our Commitment to Diversity
Trinity Health is a family of 115,000 colleagues and nearly 26,000
physicians and clinicians across 25 states. Because we serve
diverse populations, our colleagues are trained to recognize the
cultural beliefs, values, traditions, language preferences, and
health practices of the communities that we serve and to apply that
knowledge to produce positive health outcomes. We also recognize
that each of us has a different way of thinking and perceiving our
world and that these differences often lead to innovative
solutions.Our dedication to diversity includes a unified workforce
(through training and education, recruitment, retention, and
development), commitment and accountability, communication,
community partnerships, and supplier diversity.
Keywords: Saint Joseph Mercy Health System, Pontiac , Research RN - Medical Education, Healthcare , Pontiac, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!