Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) - Inpatient Post-Surgical Unit - Trinity Oakland - Part-Time
Company: SaintJoseph Mercy Health System
Posted on: January 20, 2023
Employment Type: Part time Shift: Rotating Shift Description: 12
hour shifts, Part-Time, Benefit & PTO Eligible
Day Shift - 7am-7:30pm
Night Shift - 7am - 7:30pm POSITION PURPOSE The Licensed Practical
Nurse (LPN) functions as a collaborative member of the health care
team in partnership with and under supervision of the Registered
Nurse (RN)/provider utilizing principles of Relationship-Based Care
through the effective implementation of specific aspects of the
nursing process, performs direct patient care to a specific group
of patients, and coordinates activities which relate to the flow of
unit processes. The LPN acts within the scope of practice congruent
with their education and licensure. Care includes the
administration of medications as authorized. Demonstrates unit/area
competencies.The LPN may not delegate tasks to or supervise other
licensed or non-licensed health professionals. The LPN actively
supports the activities of the unit based shared governance
council. Promotes organizational commitment and excellence in the
patient care experience. REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND
- Education: Requires a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Requires Possession of a certificate from a practical nursing
education program accepted for licensure by the Michigan Board of
- Certification/Licensure: Requires current and active license to
practice as LPN in State of Michigan.
- Basic Life Support Certification (BLS). REQUIRED SKILLS AND
- Ability to apply nursing techniques within defined
responsibilities to meet patient and family needs.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions / orders
- Ability to observe and record information used to make clinical
- Ability to observe and evaluate conditions, reactions, and
changes in the physical and mental condition of the patient
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES In accordance with Section
161 of the Michigan Public Health Code, the Practical
Nurse-Licensed performs nursing acts, functions, or asks under the
delegation and supervision of the Registered Nurse.
- Performs specific nursing interventions as delegated by the
Registered Nurse and/or Physician to support attainment of
treatment goals and use interdisciplinary plan as the framework for
- Reports changes in patient condition, feedback, and follow-up
to the RN in a timely manner.
- Obtains necessary clinical data from patient, family, or
- Demonstrates competency in the administration of oral,
intra-muscular, and subcutaneous medications.
- Informs and provides information to patients about planned
procedures and treatments in order to reduce fear and anxieties and
to encourage patient participation.Performs activities which may be
delegated by the RN and/or Providers, including but not limited to:
- Venipuncture for specimens including blood cultures.
- Start and discontinue IV lines.
- May double check high alert medications, verify blood products,
and witness controlled substance waste
- Insertion and discontinuation of straight, indwelling, and
intermittent clean urinary catheterization.
- Obtains laboratory specimens and performs basic laboratory
- May perform basic bedside care and selected procedures under
the supervision of the RN: testing 12 lead ECG procedure, dressing
changes, routine respiratory care (i.e. cough and deep breathing,
incentive spirometry, pulse oximetry, oxygen setup, hand held
nebulizer), collection of vital signs, recognition of
life-threatening conditions with initial response and
- May administer physician directed treatment i.e. 02 Therapy,
eye and ear irrigation, etc.
- May apply basic physical therapy modalities under the
supervision of a physician.
- Other unit specific activities, such as activities of daily
living appropriate to the patient's condition.
- The LPN collects data for the RN assessments for admission and
- Performs patient teaching as delegated to LPN per the RN
- Receives verbal orders (emergent situations only) from a
provider such as in a code blue
- Responds to patient requests in a timely manner; always
introduces self and explains patient care role.
- Performs appropriate competency-based point of care testing and
- Records patient information and required data in appropriate
areas in order to meet documentation, regulatory and charging
- Writes periodic progress notes, nursing notes, and any reports
of impact on patient plan of care
- Maintains a clean environment for patients, visitors and
- Cleans, maintains and stocks equipment and supplies according
to unit procedures.
- Maintains good rapport and cooperative relationships.
- Approaches conflict in a constructive manner.
- Helps to identify problems, offer solutions, and participate in
- Maintains the confidentiality of information acquired
pertaining to patient, physicians, colleagues, and visitors to
- Discusses patient and hospital information only among
appropriate personnel in appropriately private places.
- Behaves in accordance with the Code of Conduct, Policies,
Service Excellence Standards, and the Mission, Vision and Values of
- Assumes responsibility for performance of job duties in the
safest possible manner, to assure personal safety and that of
coworkers, and to report all preventable hazards and unsafe
practices immediately to management. OTHER FUNCTIONS AND
RESPONSIBILITIES Performs other duties as assigned. Our Commitment
to Diversity and Inclusion Trinity Health is a family of 115,000
colleagues and nearly 26,000 physicians and clinicians across 25
states. Because we serve diverse populations, our colleagues are
trained to recognize the cultural beliefs, values, traditions,
language preferences, and health practices of the communities that
we serve and to apply that knowledge to produce positive health
outcomes. We also recognize that each of us has a different way of
thinking and perceiving our world and that these differences often
lead to innovative solutions.Our dedication to diversity includes a
unified workforce (through training and education, recruitment,
retention, and development), commitment and accountability,
communication, community partnerships, and supplier diversity.
Keywords: SaintJoseph Mercy Health System, Pontiac , Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) - Inpatient Post-Surgical Unit - Trinity Oakland - Part-Time, Healthcare , Pontiac, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!