Licensed Pharmacy Tech - Inpatient - 0.9 FTE
Company: Saint Joseph Mercy Health System
Posted on: August 6, 2022
Employment Type:Full timeShift:Rotating ShiftDescription:Under
the immediate supervision of a pharmacist and Pharmacy Department
leadership, provides daily pharmaceutical supportive services for
the Department of Pharmacy according to established procedures and
in compliance with pharmacy laws, other regulatory agencies and
other members of the multi-disciplinary team. Responds to routine
and emergency requests in a prompt and efficient manner, requiring
a relatively high degree of independent judgement. Participates in
departmental education activities and competency assessment.
Actively supports and participates in the department's continuous
quality improvement initiatives; promotes the organizational
commitment to customer service.Education:
- High School Graduate or GED equivalent.
- Completion of a formal Pharmacy Technician educational program
and/or completion of an Associate's Degree is preferred.Licensure /
- Current licensure by the State of Michigan as Pharmacy
- Certification by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board
(PTCB) is preferred.Special Skill / Aptitudes:
- Essential mathematics skills to be able to add, subtract,
multiply and divide in all units of measure.
- Possesses effective computer and keyboarding skills; ability to
work with Pharmacy Information Systems and automation used in the
medication use process.
- Able to use email to communicate with other members of the
department including pharmacy management.
- Excellent critical thinking skills and ability to make
decisions in a fast-paced work environment.
- A team oriented colleague that is detail oriented and
passionate about medication and patient safety as well as
- quality initiatives.
- Excellent customer service orientation skills necessary in
order to deal effectively with various levels of hospital
personnel, outside customers and community groups.Experience:
- Previous pharmacy experience, hospital-based pharmacy
- Formal Pharmacy Technician program experiential education may
be considered in lieu of work experience.Duties / Responsibilities:
- Reads and interprets physician's medication orders, assists
with filling, processing and dispensing of medications, re-packages
and labels medication, including bulk supplies, with final check
performed by a pharmacist.
- Maintains cleanliness and aseptic technique while following
established departmental compounding practices and procedures when
mixing intravenous admixtures including IVPBs, large volume
parenterals, and total parenteral nutrition, if necessary. Drug
preparation necessitates working aseptically in a horizontal or
vertical laminar (biological safety cabinet) flow hood using
aseptic technique. Adheres to USP 797/USP 800 Guidelines.
- Delivers controlled substances and other medications to nursing
units' automated medication dispensing cabinets (ADC). Delivers
other medication, IV solutions and all necessary forms throughout
the hospital on a regularly scheduled basis to patient care
- Prepares medications and subsequently loads and unloads
medication into ADC with appropriate bar code scanning. Fills
inventory needs for nursing unit ADCs, non-cabinet stock, and fills
unit dose drawers by placing the proper drugs in the bins according
to the computerized patient profile.
- Supports the drug inventory process including rotation and
restocking of drug dispensing areas with drugs and supplies needed
to process patient medication orders. Ensures the maintenance of a
clean and orderly work area.
- Answers phones according to established phone etiquette and
directs calls to the proper personnel.
- Determines when phone calls or emergency situations need to be
referred to a pharmacist.
- Completes nursing unit inspections, as assigned. Restocks crash
cart trays and OCMCA boxes etc., as required in a timely manner.
Alerts the pharmacists or pharmacy management of any
- Fills controlled substance orders and reconciles all
discrepancies on a daily basis. Reports any discrepancies to the
pharmacist or pharmacy management as appropriate. Monitors any
unusual activity for potential drug diversion.
- Prepares and packages chemotherapy medications and other
medications requiring special handling for subsequent
administration to patients under the supervision of the pharmacist.
This includes verifying drug doses and preparing preliminary drug
profiles for patients on established chemotherapy protocols. Safely
handles and manipulates cytotoxic and other special drugs and
incidental equipment used in drug preparation while working
aseptically in a vertical flow hood or biological safety cabinet.
Adheres to all safety measures for handling chemotherapy/hazardous
- Maintains all necessary paperwork, legal documents, and records
for all medications, including chemotherapy prepared for
administration. Utilizing the pharmacy computer system, bills
and/or credits patients for medication used. Maintains
investigational drug research records and validates doses ordered
using investigational drug protocols.
- Obtains medications accurately from the department's automated
medication supplier (i.e., BoxPicker). Loads and removes
medications from this unit using bar code scanning of medication
and patient labels. Prepares and labels doses removed for
pharmacist final check.
- Operates the unit dose packaging machine in an accurate and
efficient manner. This includes restocking medications and
replacing supplies, monitoring machine alarms, and ensuring doses
are correctly labeled and prepared for pharmacist check.
- Utilizes the MedBoard software system and bar code scanning to
track the delivery of medications to the nursing units.
- Assumes responsibility for performance of job duties in the
safest possible manner, to ensure personal safety and that of
coworkers, and to report all preventable hazards and unsafe
practices immediately to management.
- Maintains good rapport and cooperative relationships.
Approaches conflict in a constructive manner. Helps to identify
problems, offer solutions, and participate in their
- Must be able to set and organize own work priorities, and adapt
to them as they change frequently. Must be able to work
concurrently on a variety of tasks/projects in an environment that
may be stressful due to time constraints.
- Maintains the confidentiality of information acquired
pertaining to patient, physicians, colleagues, and visitors to St.
Joseph Mercy Oakland. Discusses patient and hospital information
only among appropriate personnel in appropriately private places.
Accesses protected health information (PHI) only as necessary and
according to hospital and HIPAA guidelines.
- Meets SJMHS Guiding Behaviors and Caring Standards including
interpersonal communication and professional conduct expectations.
Knows, understands, incorporates and demonstrates the Trinity
Health Mission, Vision and Values in behavior, practices and
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform the competencies/essential functions satisfactorily with or
without reasonable accommodation.
- Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the
general nature and level of work being assigned to this job. They
are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all
responsibilities, duties and skills required of individuals in the
- Demonstrates and actively promotes an understanding and
commitment to the mission of St. Joseph Mercy Oakland through
performing behaviors consistent with the Trinity Health
- Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and
Local laws and regulations, the Trinity Health Organizational
Integrity Program, including the Standards of Conduct, Code of
Ethics, as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure
adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical and
- Supports and conducts one's self in a manner consistent with
customer service expectations.
- In accordance with unit or departmental practice, determines
that appropriate charges have been entered for the correct patient,
encounter, date/time of service, with any required modifiers. Make
corrections as needed per charge capture policy/practice.
- In accordance with unit or departmental practice, actively
participates in on-going education and communication regarding
- In accordance with unit or departmental practice, assists with
tracking and monitoring of equipment assigned to the unit. Requests
services for maintaining equipment as needed.
- In accordance with unit or departmental practice, proficient
with the electronic health records for documentation, assessment,
and care management, performing these activities concurrently with
provision of care throughout the shift.Our Commitment to Diversity
and InclusionTrinity Health is a family of 115,000 colleagues and
nearly 26,000 physicians and clinicians across 25 states. Because
we serve diverse populations, our colleagues are trained to
recognize the cultural beliefs, values, traditions, language
preferences, and health practices of the communities that we serve
and to apply that knowledge to produce positive health outcomes. We
also recognize that each of us has a different way of thinking and
perceiving our world and that these differences often lead to
innovative solutions.Our dedication to diversity includes a unified
workforce (through training and education, recruitment, retention,
and development), commitment and accountability, communication,
community partnerships, and supplier diversity.
Keywords: Saint Joseph Mercy Health System, Pontiac , Licensed Pharmacy Tech - Inpatient - 0.9 FTE, Other , Pontiac, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!