Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) - Inpatient Post-Surgical Unit - Trinity Oakland - Part-Time
Company: SaintJoseph Mercy Health System
Posted on: January 21, 2023
Part time Shift:
Description: 12 hour shifts, Part-Time, Benefit & PTO Eligible
Day Shift - 7am-7:30pm
Night Shift - 7am - 7:30pm POSITION PURPOSE
The Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) functions as a collaborative
member of the health care team in partnership with and under
supervision of the Registered Nurse (RN)/provider utilizing
principles of Relationship-Based Care through the effective
implementation of specific aspects of the nursing process, performs
direct patient care to a specific group of patients, and
coordinates activities which relate to the flow of unit processes.
The LPN acts within the scope of practice congruent with their
education and licensure. Care includes the administration of
medications as authorized. Demonstrates unit/area competencies.
The LPN may not delegate tasks to or supervise other licensed or
non-licensed health professionals. The LPN actively supports the
activities of the unit based shared governance council. Promotes
organizational commitment and excellence in the patient care
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND CERTIFICATION/LICENSURE
- Education: Requires a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Requires Possession of a certificate from a practical nursing
education program accepted for licensure by the Michigan Board of
- Certification/Licensure: Requires current and active license to
practice as LPN in State of Michigan.
- Basic Life Support Certification (BLS). REQUIRED SKILLS AND
- Ability to apply nursing techniques within defined
responsibilities to meet patient and family needs.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions / orders
- Ability to observe and record information used to make clinical
- Ability to observe and evaluate conditions, reactions, and
changes in the physical and mental condition of the patient
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
In accordance with Section 161 of the Michigan Public Health Code,
the Practical Nurse-Licensed performs nursing acts, functions, or
asks under the delegation and supervision of the Registered Nurse.
- Performs specific nursing interventions as delegated by the
Registered Nurse and/or Physician to support attainment of
treatment goals and use interdisciplinary plan as the framework for
- Reports changes in patient condition, feedback, and follow-up
to the RN in a timely manner.
- Obtains necessary clinical data from patient, family, or
- Demonstrates competency in the administration of oral,
intra-muscular, and subcutaneous medications.
- Informs and provides information to patients about planned
procedures and treatments in order to reduce fear and anxieties and
to encourage patient participation. Performs activities which may
be delegated by the RN and/or Providers, including but not limited
- Venipuncture for specimens including blood cultures.
- Start and discontinue IV lines.
- May double check high alert medications, verify blood products,
and witness controlled substance waste
- Insertion and discontinuation of straight, indwelling, and
intermittent clean urinary catheterization.
- Obtains laboratory specimens and performs basic laboratory
- May perform basic bedside care and selected procedures under
the supervision of the RN: testing 12 lead ECG procedure, dressing
changes, routine respiratory care (i.e. cough and deep breathing,
incentive spirometry, pulse oximetry, oxygen setup, hand held
nebulizer), collection of vital signs, recognition of
life-threatening conditions with initial response and
- May administer physician directed treatment i.e. 02 Therapy,
eye and ear irrigation, etc.
- May apply basic physical therapy modalities under the
supervision of a physician.
- Other unit specific activities, such as activities of daily
living appropriate to the patient's condition.
- The LPN collects data for the RN assessments for admission and
- Performs patient teaching as delegated to LPN per the RN
- Receives verbal orders (emergent situations only) from a
provider such as in a code blue
- Responds to patient requests in a timely manner; always
introduces self and explains patient care role.
- Performs appropriate competency-based point of care testing and
- Records patient information and required data in appropriate
areas in order to meet documentation, regulatory and charging
- Writes periodic progress notes, nursing notes, and any reports
of impact on patient plan of care
- Maintains a clean environment for patients, visitors and
- Cleans, maintains and stocks equipment and supplies according
to unit procedures.
- Maintains good rapport and cooperative relationships.
- Approaches conflict in a constructive manner.
- Helps to identify problems, offer solutions, and participate in
- Maintains the confidentiality of information acquired
pertaining to patient, physicians, colleagues, and visitors to
- Discusses patient and hospital information only among
appropriate personnel in appropriately private places.
- Behaves in accordance with the Code of Conduct, Policies,
Service Excellence Standards, and the Mission, Vision and Values of
- Assumes responsibility for performance of job duties in the
safest possible manner, to assure personal safety and that of
coworkers, and to report all preventable hazards and unsafe
practices immediately to management. OTHER FUNCTIONS AND
Performs other duties as assigned.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Trinity Health is a family of 115,000 colleagues and nearly 26,000
physicians and clinicians across 25 states. Because we serve
diverse populations, our colleagues are trained to recognize the
cultural beliefs, values, traditions, language preferences, and
health practices of the communities that we serve and to apply that
knowledge to produce positive health outcomes. We also recognize
that each of us has a different way of thinking and perceiving our
world and that these differences often lead to innovative
Our dedication to diversity includes a unified workforce (through
training and education, recruitment, retention, and development),
commitment and accountability, communication, community
partnerships, and supplier diversity.
Keywords: SaintJoseph Mercy Health System, Pontiac , Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) - Inpatient Post-Surgical Unit - Trinity Oakland - Part-Time, Other , Pontiac, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!